2017 Kentucky Crushed Stone Association Teacher's Workshop Program
Kentucky Crushed Stone Association Teacher's Workshop Program
Who Should Attend:
This program is designed for Science teachers who teach Elementary, Middle and High Schools (3-12). However, we gladly accept Boy Scout Leaders, Trade School Teachers, and other teachers who would like to learn more about rocks and minerals
Click Here to Register Online:
At this time, our teacher's workshop registration is full. If you would like to be added to our waiting list please click here and fill out the information.
Schedule of Events:
- 12:00 - 12:30 p.m. - Registration
- 12:30 - 12:45 p.m. - Welcome and Overview - Nick Rodgers, KCSA
- 12:45 - 1:20 p.m. - Progress Through Aggregates
- 1:20 - 2:30 p.m. - Geology of Kentucky - Stephen Greb, Ph. D., Kentucky Geology Survey
- 2:30 - 2:45 p.m. - Break
- 2:45 - 5:00 p.m. - Underground Quarry Tour, Harrod Concrete & Stone in Frankfort
- 5:00 - 5:30 p.m. - McConnell Springs Tour in Lexington
- 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. - Teacher/Industry BBQ
- 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. - Hands-On/Minds-On Session 1 - Workshop Staff
- 9:00 a.m. - 9:45 a.m. - KYTC Division of Materials, KY Engineers Exposure Network Session - Amanda Dees
- 9:45 a.m. - 10:15 a.m. - Hands-On/Minds-On Session 2 - Workshop Staff
- 10:15 - 10:30 a.m. - Break
- 10:30 - 11:30 a.m. - Hands-On/Minds-On Session 3 - Workshop Staff
- 11:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. - "If it can't be grown, it has to be mined" Dale C. Elifrits, Northern KY University
- 12:00 p.m. - 12:45 p.m. - Lunch
- 12:45 - 1:00 p.m. - Evaluation/Delivery of Supplies & Lesson Plans
Drone footage of the above part of the quarry tour.
- The workshop will focus on the identification, economic value, and the uses of a variety of rocks and earth materials in modern society.
- Materials, lesson plans, handouts, and classroom resources especially science / social studies education programs and aligned to 2015 Kentucky State Standards.
Elementary School - 2-PS1-1, 4-ESS1-1, 4-ESS1-2, 3-5-ETS1-2
Middle School - 06-PS1-3, 06-ESS2-2, 06-ESS2-1, 08-ESS3-1, 08-ESS3-4, One or more of the MS ETS standards
High School - HS-ESS3-1, HS-ESS3-2, HS-ETS1-3
The 2015 Kentucky Academic Standards for Science can be found here: http://education.ky.gov/curriculum/standards/kyacadstand/Documents/Kentucky_Academic_Standards_Science.pdf
- A certificate awarding 8 hours of Professional Development will be issued at the end of the workshop. (Professional Development credits subject to local district approval)
- Registration will be limited to 25 participants.
- Hands-on sessions include bird seed mining, mineral identification, and other novel approaches to teaching mining procedures, economics and conservation of resources.
- Tour an active underground aggregate mine operation. On-site instruction will be provided concerning extraction technology, quality control, and how the industry addresses the environmental implications of aggregate mining.
- Expert instructors include geologists (Kentucky Geology Survey), engineers, college professors, retired teachers, and crushed stone industry representatives.
Workshop and Registration Fees
Sponsored By Kentucky Crushed Stone Association Producers
No Costs to Teachers or their School System!
Deadline: June 7, 2017
If you need any auxiliary aids or services with regard to a disability or have special dietary needs, please call Gaye or Nick at the Kentucky Crushed Stone Association office
Rooms Available for Workshop Attendees at No Cost.
Contact: Hampton Inn
128 Darby Drive
Georgetown KY 40324
Teachers must make their own reservations!
Be sure to mention that you are with the Kentucky Crushed Stone Association Educational Workshop.
Room Rate for Teachers, Paid for by Sponsors