Minerals in Your Life
Minerals are used in products we use in our everyday lives. Everything we depend on is either made from minerals or relies on minerals for its production. Find out why you absolutely, positively, must have someone somewhere, who develops the resources you use every day.
What Mineral Products & Metals Are Needed To Make Wind Turbines?
- Aggregates and Crushed Stone (for concrete): Mined in the United States and Kentucky.
- Bauxite(aluminum):MinedinAustralia,China, Brazil, India, Guinea, Jamaica, Russia, Venezuela, Suriname, Kazakhstan, Guyana and Greece.
- Clay and Shale (for cement): Mined in United States.
- Coal (by-productcokeisusedtomakesteel). Coal is mined world-wide, and constitutes 45% of the generation of U.S. electricity.
- Cobalt (magnets):Mined in Congo-Kinshasa, Canada, Zambia, Russia, Australia, China, Cuba, Morocco, New Caledonia and Brazil.
- Copper (wiring):Minedin Chile, United States, Peru, China, Australia, Russia, Indonesia, Canada, Zambia, Poland and Mexico.
- Gypsum (forcement): Mined in China,United States, Iran, Spain, Thailand, Japan, Canada, Italy, France, Australia, Turkey, India, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Brazil, Egypt, Germany, United Kingdom, Algeria, Poland, Argentina and Austria.
- Iron ore (steel): Mined in China, Brazil, Australia, India, Russia, Ukraine, United States, South Africa, Iran, Canada, Sweden, Kazakhstan, Venezuela and Mexico.
- Limestone (for cement): Mined in United States and in Kentucky.
- Molybdenum (alloy in steel): Mined in China, United States, Chile, Peru, Mexico, Canada, Armenia, Iran, Russia and Mongolia.
- Rare Earth Oxides(magnets; batteries): Mined in China, India and Brazil.
- Zinc (galvanizing): Mined in China,Peru,Australia, United States, Canada, India, Kazakhstan, Ireland and Mexico.
- Silica Sand (for cement): Mined in United States, Italy, Germany, United Kingdom, Australia, France, Spain, Japan, Poland, Hungary, South Africa, Mexico, Austria, Iran, Republic of Korea, Slovakia, Canada, Belgium, India, Bulgaria, Norway, Chile, Gambia, Turkey and Czech Republic.